CASE STUDY: Hickey Freeman
To translate, Hickey Freeman, an American classic into a classic American place. Create an intimate, structured shopping experience for the discerning male and their influences.
Convenient to where he works, dines or lives, the edited assortment focuses on selection rather than shopping. Drawing its physical inspiration from classic American residential interiors, signature elements bring together heroically scaled columns, translucent glass block and limed oak casework, accented with a collection of fine antiques and comfortable lounge furniture. A series of levels, a legacy of the location’s former residential heritage, provide segmentation and intimacy for the various product segments, ranging from sportswear, furnishings, accessories and suiting. The new prototype offers highly organized product presentation with a casual sensibility.
- The new exterior derives its character from classic materials - limestone, painted brick and architecturally scaled moldings surrounding the windows and doors, creating a “tailor-made” destination for shoppers.
- Upon entering, a monumental staircase leading to the second floor invites guests to further explore the space. A secondary staircase leads to the Boy’s department at the back of the main floor, highlighted by an arched, glass block display area, this area becomes the store’s most intimate space in terms of footprint and ceiling height, complementing the merchandise and its smaller scale.
- Where possible, the design takes advantage of lighting to bring the neutral palette to life, highlighting the subtle textures, patterns and warmth of the merchandise fabrics.
- A center room flanked by a lounge and bespoke suiting area furnished with leather club chairs and a Parson style wood and leather work desk, offers a comfortable area to relax and enjoy the view from the floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Oak Street.
- The customer’s convenience is assured by the inclusion of a custom-designed elevator of bronze and wood finishes and richly appointed fitting rooms dramatically finished in dark mocha grass cloth, overscaled mirrors and custom light fixtures and furnishings.